I had a real “Frank” in Old School weekend. I got so much done. I don’t know how it happened. Here’s a recap starting with the pic above. The weather was finally nice, so I rolled the car out of the garage to have more room to work. My goals were passenger air bag removal, wiring harness relocation, wiring my gauges, and anything else that came up. (To defend my honor, there is a jack under the car in this pic hence the height.)
My first project was mounting my Earl’s oil filter relocation bracket. I am paranoid about having my filter (or cooler that matter) down low in an area that could get hit by random road debris or a good tap of a tire. What I ended up with was this. The hole below it was from cutting out the old battery tray a few years ago.
Next up was removing the dash to get at the air bag. No pics of that fun because my camera battery was dead. So, I put it on the charger and worked on the dash. It was much easier than I expected.
You can see I managed to get the airbag out before my camera finished charging. I also removed all the associated wiring and its control unit that is under the rear seat.
I then got diverted on a side mission: removing the interior A/C core. I had taken out the A/C components in the engine bay long ago and have no plans of putting any of it back. It was time to finish the job. This is in mini-write-up format for those looking to do the same thing. You need to keep the housing that the A/C heat exchanger(?) sits in since it connects your blower motor to your duct work.
Undo like three bolts and an electrical plug, then the housing comes right out of the dash area.
There are a few phillips head screws that hold the two halves together. There are also some stick on foam sealant strips that seal between the housings. As you separate the housings, cut this stuff nicely so it will go back together and still make a seal. With the halves separated, you are looking at the exchanger thing…covered in 15 years of junk.
It slides right out. Below it, there is a white foam piece that it sat in. I used a flat bladed screwdriver and scrapped it out. This is the finished product.
On the right half above, you can see the a little black wire with a probe on the end of it. This was mounted on the condenser before. I was unsure of its function in the grand scheme of the heating/cooling system, so I kept it. To do this, I RTV’d it to the side of the opening so the probe end was still in the path of the air flow.
Moving on, it was time to tackle the wiring harness relocation. Doing a full wiring tuck would be my preference, but I don’t have the time to dedicate to something of that magnitude right now. Need to keep moving forward. I opted to run the harness over the strut tower in the engine bay then back through the firewall.
Again, mini-write-up style. I undid the pertinent connectors and managed to pull the harness through the firewall. In the pic below, the connectors at the right are from the steering column; on the left are connectors from the drivers kick panel area behind the fusebox; and the long skinny black wire runs in the engine bay down to the power steering pressure sensor. It all needs to come out.
Back to work, I pulled the harness into the engine bay from the hole it passes through at the front of the car (can be seen in pic above), and then ran it over the strut tower like so:
In the driver side firewall corner, there is a triangle shaped hole. This has to be slightly enlarged to fit the massive square connector and the wiring harness. This is my winning shape after a little trimming with the cutting wheel.
I doctored up the hole with some black spray paint to seal the exposed metal, and then lined the “sharp” edge with some random hose I had. Finished product.
Before and after comparison: The before was from when I originally put the engine in almost three years ago. I thought I was so slick in the way I had it routed. Sigh.
If you are low, running big tires, or both; you really need to do this. Don’t let a chopped wiring harness ruin your track day or leave you stranded on a cruise.