I’ve been spending a good amount of time making this car not suck. Granted, visually it is an abomination. Pretty horrendous from any angle. I wish I could say that having a car that looks sweet is more important to me than a car that runs and drives sweet, but that is just not the case. So in an effort to move further along the “I don’t want to roll this heap off a cliff” path, I have been ticking off a few small things that make the overall product much better.
The first was the clutch pedal. The car is a auto-to-5-speed convert so whoever did the install had to source a clutch pedal. By all accounts, it looks to be a correct JZX100 clutch pedal assembly (maybe JZX90? anyone confirm?). I initially set out to adjust the slack in the pedal; a straightforward process. What I realized as I got into it was the bracket was missing the top bolt due to it being like two millimeters misaligned. Thus, when I stepped on the clutch pedal, the bracket had a spring-motion as the pedal was pushed. This gave the pedal a weird springy feel. I pulled the pedal assembly and set about correcting the situation. The top hole in the above picture is the one causing the problems.
I got out my file set that I bought for that other project and set about making the hole slightly oblong to allow the bolt to line up. That did the trick. Pedal properly bolted in, adjusted, and functioning like stock.
The battery that was in there must have been off a Mitsubishi Delica or a small Japanese Semi because it was HUGE. The negative terminal made contact with the hood. An obvious problem with a simple solution. This Optima RedTop came up for sale and is actually for a Chaser. I snatched it up. No more contact…weird.
A few more maintenance items off the list as well – transmission and differential fluid changed. The car is feeling pretty sweet at them moment. A perfect example that some simple fixes, the correct parts, and proper maintenance go a long way.