Minty Smash: S13 VK56 Build Update #13

Welllll, it’s been a good while since we’ve updated so let’s pick up where we left off and try and fill in the gaps a bit. There has been a TON of behind the scenes type stuff happening to push the VK56 swap kit closer to completion but not much to share pictures off. Things haven’t slowed down and it feels really good to say we see the light at the end of the tunnel. So here’s a rundown of what’s been going in the Brickhouse shop.

When we left off, we had just gotten the keys to our much needed shop space. First order of business was to move in.
S__19456046

S__19456045

This staircase that Greg whipped up is way more awesome than you’d think.
S__19456044

S__19456047

As you can see above, the aero got painted and more of the exterior goodies installed. Our goal was to finish the car for the FDTX Offset Kings show, but it just wasn’t in a state we were happy with to debut it.
S__19456004

Leading up to Christmas Greg started another 4-wheel build – rebuilding this go kart for his son. Paint, engine rebuild, nuts and bolts, etc. Fully reworked. Can’t wait to see my nephew ripping around in this thing in the spring.
Before:
S__19456032
After:
S__19456033

Maybe you spotted the black hatch above. We’ve had it for a while now and it’s finally getting some love. It’s going to be thrown together using our spare parts we’ve got lying around. Goal is for a super basic, super reliable, great for learning drift car. Basically something anyone can hop in and have fun. It’ll get the built KA that was originally in my S14, but we sold off 57 trim turbo setup, 740’s, and NIStune. We are going to run a T28, 550’s, and a chipped ECU. Think TX Street Legal basic-ness.
S__19456029

It was supposed to be a rust-free, 5-lug shell when we picked it up. Hidden beneath the front sheet metal was a history of ugly repairs.
S__19456013

S__19456010

S__19456007

S__19456006

S__19456005

S__19456003

So naturally there was only one thing to do.
S__19456015

Hack off all the bad and tube front it!
S__19456041

And what fun is stock steering angle, so Greg did up another set of Brickhouse knuckles, extended lower arms, and a relocated rack will be done before the engine goes in.
S__19456027
Love that color. Freshly powder coated.
S__19456035

Alright, alright. Back to what this thread is really about – the VK56 S13! Greg’s been practicing a lot and working on his consistency with TIG welding.
S__19456020

S__19456021

S__19456019

The equal length headers were a good excuse to practice. Haha. It should be noted that these are purely for experiement’s sake and the production headers will be a simpler design (similar to the Ver. 3 headers posted previously in the build). These are just to compare to the production set and see how the dyno numbers change.
S__19456022

S__19456014

New toys showed up – FUPA cups.
S__19456060

Then, and bringing us to the present, our really big “toy” showed up – a LDR Motion Systems CNC plasma table with a Hypertherm Powermax 85 plasma cutter.
S__19456049

S__19456052

S__19456053

Getting it positioned and hooked up in the shop. We’ve always wanted to keep as much of production in house as possible and a big part of that was investing in our own CNC cutter. This will allow us to make precision pieces with the flexibility to make revisions when needed. Flanges, adapters, covers, oil pan, brackets, intake manifold, yada yada – you name it pretty much and this will let us create it in a precise reproducible manner.
S__5586946

One of the test cuts which gives a good idea what it can do.
S__19456055

And the rebuilt VK sitting in the bay…likely to only be removed and installed two or three more times before it’s plumbed and wired. Haha. It’s getting close!!
S__19447812

As always throughout this build, thanks for all the support and words of encouragement!! It’s been the fuel in finishing this project!